Tuesday 24 May 2011

Here I am...

... and with no followers (yet), but hopefully this will change!

For the last few years I have felt 'at sea' professionally. I have a well-paid job (academic), I think my peers and my students like and respect me and I shouldn't really complain.

And yet...

It's just not working for me. I have to confess to having stumbled through my 'career' and I never really took enough notice of where I was being led.

I realised the other day, when I was asked to write a mini biog for work, that when it came to 'what do you hope/expect to be doing in the future' that all I could think of writing was:
I expect to be doing the same job for the next 14 years but I hope to have left before then.

Not the most enthusiastic statement!

So, I guess this blog is about where I could go as well as about where I am.

2 comments:

  1. Aloha, Amanda! I found your blog through Philofaxy (yes, another addict!).

    I was in a similar position like you are in now. My family's in politics and from a young age, it was assumed that I'd go to law school and then into politics. I suppose for a long time I chose to stay in that road because I'm great at it. But then I realized that doing well didn't make me feel as fulfilled as doing good :o) So it's back to the drawing board for me now.

    I hope you enjoy this journey. Follow your bliss; it's the path to fulfillment and meaning :o)

    In any case, here's a quote from Benjamin Button:

    "For what it's worth: it's never too late or, in my case, too early to be whoever you want to be. There's no time limit, stop whenever you want. You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. And I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you're proud of. If you find that you're not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again. "


    Kind Regards,
    Leilani (aka UNchecked Other)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Leilani. Your positive comments and uplifting quote have really made my day!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete